Estrogen is Good for You

Posted on

How Estrogen impacts strokes, heart disease, cancer, frailty, and many other situations.

Dr. Maupin and I recently attended a medical conference in Miami. We were privileged to hear a presentation by Dr. Robert True, MD, FACOG, AASCS.  This week we want to share with you some of the incredible information he shared with us. We want to credit him with the research survey he has done and share some of the data he provided.

Dr. True began by quoting Hippocrates, a physician from 2500 years ago, Hippocrates said “The first role of a physician is to prevent disease, that being impossible, to cure it, and if that too is impossible, to relieve pain.” Doctors are taught this rubric in medical school and would do well to remember it as they practice medicine.

The summary conclusion of Dr. Trues’ presentation was that estrogen replacement would help women in both their health and their longevity.

He presented the information that after menopause, estrogen is a preventative for stroke, heart disease, cancer, frailty, and many other situations that can shorten a woman’s life. He said that while women are not yet in menopause, they are less at risk than men are for a number of life -threatening illnesses. He said that once the women have gone through menopause their numbers balance out to be statistically similar to men’s numbers, UNLESS they replace their estrogen and stay on it for 10 years.

Dr. True began his talk by reviewing the famous Women’s Health Initiative of 2002. This study was cancelled early instead of being finished. The results are now considered to be wrong and it created a near panic on the part of women and their doctors. The study claimed that hormone replacement (estrogen) would increase your chance of getting cancer. What they later found was that the problem was caused by progestin not estrogen. Now doctors know that estrogen replacement improves your life expectancy and health. Some physicians have not kept up with the times and do not know this. They also still reject the idea of estrogen replacement for women. 

According to Dr. True, the FDA recommends that a woman take the smallest amount of estrogen for the least amount of time possible. They did no research to decide this, they just announced it. There is no science to back up the FDA recommendation. But there is research that shows a woman can reduce her chance of osteoporosis by 36%, total cancers by 24%, and Urinary Tract infections by 60% and diabetes by 35%, if you replace your estrogen after menopause.,

Dr. True discussed with us over 30 different research studies from around the world that when combined claim that there is a 40% reduction in all -cause mortality, if a woman replaces her estrogen after menopause for 10 years or more!

In 2009, the Mayo clinic determined that if you do not take estrogen replacement after menopause there is a 40% increase in the risk of mortality.

They also determined that there is a 35% decrease in people who did take estrogen therapy after menopause.

This Health cast was written and presented by Dr. Kathy Maupin, M.D., Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Expert and Author, with Brett Newcomb, MA., LPC., Family Counselor, Presenter and Author.

Related Post: